That's So Ron!!!

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ella, ella, ella, ei, ei, ei... Rihanna vs Mandy

"Ella, ella, ella, ei, ei, ei"

Like it or hate it, every single radio station is playing that damn song. Okay, I really like the song. But Rihanna... erh...

Anyway moving on to what I want to say... a few of my friends have told me that the cute and lovely Mandy more did a version of this song. Whoa... Mandy? Umbrella? First thoughts was like... "Whoa... it's like asking Britney to sing 'Hero' by Mariah"! Okay I'm exaggerating... but.. hmm it would be interesting.

I finally managed to watch (and hear) both versions side by side. Here are my views:


Rihanna's Version (Original)






Honestly, I hated this song initially. I'm not a fan of Rihanna at all. The only song that I like is her very first single, which is "Pon De Replay". Even "Unfaithful" is so-so. After some time... I started to like this song.


But the video... is horrendous. It's like plain.. slutty. Sorry to all Rihanna fans, but I think the video kinda spoilt the song. I mean... what's with the 'oh look, I'm so pretty and sexy' poses and silly outfit... and that water thingie?!?! Oh my God! Ridiculous MTV.


Mandy's version (Cover)





I can't really comment much about the MTV, cos it's just Mandy standing with her band singing Rihanna's "Umbrella", alas AOL Music session. But there's something about the way Mandy sings it and, you know... make it sound beautiful. There's something pure about her voice and her image that makes this song tamer than the original version.

It was a little hard to digest a slower version of it, but I'm starting to like it and appreciate it. Like one of my friends told me, this version brings out the real meaning of the lyrics. But maybe it wasn't necessary to show Rihanna's dumb vid at the background, seriously...


VERDICT

I like both versions of the song, but if you want me to judge it based on overall appeal, I would have to give kudos to Mandy. She makes the song sound nice and she doesn't do any funny video that screams "SEX". Just plain, simple and normal.

I'm sorry Rihanna, but your video... it's like I really have to erase the whole video off my mind whenever I hear the song, or else I will hate the song!!! I mean, so what if you spend 4 hours getting that silver paint on your body and maybe hours getting the [slutty] dance moves right, it's still terrible. Babe, you are better off just shutting up and driving...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home