That's So Ron!!!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Good Morning, X X Travel"

After 3 gruelling months of endurance, pain, pressure (maybe pleasure) and work, I am finally confirmed in my travel agency :) no longer floating around like a wandering soul. Hahaha!

It's been one heck of a rollercoaster ride for me. I mean, I'm only 22 and while most guys are mugging their lives at every McDonald's possible, I'm squeezing my time with proposals, quotations and a hell lot of work. Yes, I made the decision to start working 1st after much thought.

Yes I know it's a big and crazy move, but why not? I mean, I've totally average grades, I can't get into the course that I want to and I don't wanna waste my time (and life) away, so why not work?

I went for interviews way before I ORD and confirmed a job a month before my ORD. Rather early, I would say, but better than starting to look for one after that, which might take forever to get. I don't want to miss any opportunity, seriously.


Finally after searching, interviews and a few offers... I made the decision to go to a travel agency. It has been something that I wanted to do ever since I studied tourism in TP, so I thought it's high time I put my skills to the test! Here's what happened during the few months!!!



September

I came in a few days after my official ORD. I was rather scared. Always have this funny 'butterflies-in-my-stomach' feeling whenever I enter a new environment. It's a weird kinda thing. I came very early, so I actually went to the cafe nearby to get a drink and calm my nerves before I went up the lift to my new office. I was scared at first, because I've been to the office a few times and it's kinda scary cos everyone seems to be looking towards the glass door (entrance)... which is fu-reee-ky!


Took me some guts to actually enter the office and was greeted by Carmen, who stood up and led me to my desk. OH MY GOD MY OWN DESK. WOW. Hahaha *bimbo moment*. It's *SO* cool to have your OWN desk. I wasn't expecting it, really!!!


I had intense training with by my director, Theng Hwee, his wife, Siew Yim and all my colleagues, like Tahir, Steve, Kok Yong, Clare... it was quite a bit of a headache, I mean to absorb all of these information. But I know I would have to live on it... so had to press on.

At the end of the month, I had Abacus course, which is some system that I have to use for ticketing. Was rather scared at 1st, cos I can't remember much about ticketing (which I've learnt in school, although it was another system). Thankfully all was well. Final test was not that bad... but I don't know if I can pass well.




October

Yay! Had my birthday... in the office. Hahaha it's not that strange, but I didn't know it was obviously that it was my birthday. I mean, I brought a cake to the office. Is that obvious? Hmmm I must be really bimbotic.

Anyway more work... quite overloaded in a way. My director was monitoring my every move and it's quite scary in a way. I mean it's okay, not that bad, but maybe I wasn't used to this lifestyle yet. Had to get used to staying freaking late in the office.

Abacus tests came out. I pass, but I was *so* close to distinction. ARGH! Crap. I WANT that distinction. Ai yah. Crap. Nvm, at least I pass and I was close to it. But still!!!

Towards the end of the month, I finally got to meet my GM, Jess. I first met her at some party (during Hari Raya) and only got to talk business to here later on. It was fine. I think she's a nice lady :)


November

Wah this month as busy as the previous month. Somehow, I just can't get out of the office as early as I want. I feel like there's so many things to learn. But at the same time, I'm making so many mistakes and I feel like crap. One of them actually cost... okay let's just that things got really bad and it was internal stuff. I'm worried about all these office politics shit. Doesn't sink in well for me. I mean... I'm just so freaking stupid at times.

This month was also busy because there were a lot of meetings and training, which means I would eventually have to stay late. Not that it's bad, but... it seems like... I'm the only one staying back. I must be out of my mind.

During the start of the month, we had this company event and it was quite fun... running around Singapore and stuff. Like Amazing Race. Just that my team, consisting of my accounts/HR, my director and my GM. All the big people. We won in the end. Yay and had good dinner.

End of the month, my boss (GM) gave me evaluation. I don't think I should say it here, cos it's rather sensitive, but it's positive. Only thing is... I might have to change my job scope a little. To make it simpler for you guys, I'm taking a step backward and doing a little more background stuff. Huh? Lesser sales? Oh..

Was a little hard to digest, but it was for the better for me and I agree to it. I mean, if it's better for the company and for myself, okay. I don't mind taking it slow and learning. At least.. you know.. she's giving me a chance. And anyway that day I was told that I'm a confirmed staff. Plus increase in pay. YAY! Hahaha


What the future holds

Well, I have a lot to learn, honestly. I think I might be a little too young (mentally) to be working. But, sooner or later, I would have to start, so I might as well get used to it. I mean, it's not that bad. I'm doing something that I like. I love my company, my work... well, maybe not the bitchy clients. But it's a challenge that I wanna face.

I mean... I know it's gonna be tough and difficult for me, really. I mean, honestly, sometimes I go home feeling terrible and down. But I know that I must hang on and be strong. Mustn't give up!!! Gambatte!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home