That's So Ron!!!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

American Idol Season... OMG it's their 7TH SEASON!??!

Can you believe that despite having 6 freaking winners, millions of terribly awful (but entertaining) auditions and lotsa fatigue viewers, USA just can't get enough of Idol fever? Even 'Pop Idol', the original Idol show from UK (yes it's from UK and yes American Idol is not the original one, for those whom are oblivious) stopped at the 2nd season.

Maybe it's the fact that America's a big country. Maybe it's the fact that people think they have that chance, despite not even having a voice close to Britney and that Simon is super bitchy and critical (do these people actually WATCH TV?). Maybe they just want to be on TV. Maybe they just want to give Simon a piece of his own medicine. Whatever it is, American Idol is very entertaining in its own ways.

Yes, I know, a lot of people are getting bored. The concept is overused in many areas. Let's take Singapore for example. After American Idol was shown here, Singapore Idol came about and people started getting excited. Then came the copycats. Project Superstar, Anugerah, Vasatham Star, Campus Superstar, The Dance Floor and many other shows with the same formula: people's votes.


Kinda gets boring after a while, cos the judges will try to be critical for the sake of it and the people will not listen and vote for some salah people (until they realise that the people can't actually sing). And because of our small population, salah people can actually just get a few good friends and a very big supportive family to inject votes to give them the rights to stay.

What a pity. There's only 2 Singapore Idol seasons.

Anyway, back to American Idol, if you think season 7 is gonna be the last one, you are wrong. Contracts has been signed to give them the rights for 2 more seasons after this season (crazy). I think America really cannot get enough.

Since America claims to have so much talent, let's see what the Idols have been up to:


KELLY CLARKSON

Grammy award winning singer with award winner songs and albums, she is so far the best and the most successful Idol winner. It is a real pity that MediaCorp did not show this season, of all the seasons. But I am glad that she prove that she can make it outside the competition.

I don't think her 3rd album is doing as well as the previous 2, but I am hopeful for her. I think she can make it still.




RUBEN STUDDARD

This bear is cute and funky, but he is so-so. Album sales hasn't been too good. He has already... 3 or 4 albums to date (I am serious) and it's been... just like that. Lacklustre response and sales. Clay Aiken did a much, much better job when their 1st albums came out.

Now it seems dead...










FANTASIA BARRINO


Fantasia was honest, straightforward and unique. I think that is what made her win the competition. The season finalists actually came to Singapore for a concert. And it was kinda cool. Loved to see LaToya London and Jennifer Hudson belting their hearts out. And Fantasia screaming like a crazy woman! Hahaha

Her album was so-so for me. Apparently her album is big in US. Hmm... I don't know man. I'm like okay with her...



CARRIE UNDERWOOD

Another best seller. Her purity and innocence is her selling point. With her amazing voice and down-to-earth roots, it's no wonder her albums is hitting a lot of charts worldwide. I actually preferred Bo to win, so you can only imagine how I felt when I was right there at Kodak Theatre. But her album, her image and everything... kinda blew me away and I fell in love with this country babe.


Bo Bice was good and all... but don't know what happened to him.








TAYLOR HICKS

I think America must have made a mistake with him. I mean, hello?!! Chris Daughtry was supposed to take THAT position. What the hell were they thinking?!??! Argh! Sometimes, I don't know what the people are doing. But, well anyway he won. Got his own album, blah blah and now he's out of his record label.

1st Runner Up Katharine McPhee was great and fabulous and she has everything... but think her album sales weren't so good too. And she is also out of her label. But I personally like her a lot and I wouldn't mind buying her album. Maybe don't need to be so R&B/Hip Hop lah, babe. A bit of classic is fine :)

And DAUGHTRY ROCKS!!!





JORDIN SPARKS

Jordin is a nice and sweet gal. But I thought she didn't seem to be like.. winner material. Maybe cos she's young. Maybe cos her being in Top 2 was unexpected. I don't know... but doesn't seem like the Top 2 of this season is shining as brightly as the others. Her song sounds... a little too hip hop for her, I think. I mean I love her voice and everything.. but it seems like something's missing...




Hope season 7 will not be so typical. But it has been in many ways already. Glorifying the salah ones and sympathising the good ones... And it's kinda... boring and typical. Hahaha I'm so loss for words. And even if they win... I mean it doesn't guarantee them success. Sad, but true. I think this formula is so overused.

Let's just see what the new season of American Idol will bring...

1 Comments:

Blogger Carey Anthony said...

Like it or hate it...we still watch it :-)

http://weblog.xanga.com/CareyGLY/658102554/american-idol---the-after-partyand-so-it-ends.html

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home